Monday, March 7, 2011

Prader- Willi Syndrome Association awareness month in May!!


Luis Emilio and me! Look at that smile. Doesn't he make you happy just looking at him? :)


So far I’ve been blogging about finding happiness and treatments for depression.  My assignment this week is to blog about a study design.  The topic I chose will be a little different then what you are use to.  Never the less, it’s a topic very important to me: Prader -Willi Syndrome (PWS).  Infants and young children with PWS are typically happy and loving human beings, so I can sort of link the topics together.  Children and adults with PWS can definitely teach us to be grateful about simple things in life that many of us take for granted.  In my experience they have helped me recognize that it is the small, everyday miracles that make life worthwhile.

My nephew, Luis Emilio, was born with PWS.  He has brought a lot of happiness to our family.  Blogging about how he has brought our family together and filled our home with happiness is another way to spread the happiness to my readers and give hope to other families that struggle with family members with PWS themselves.
“Prader-Willis Syndrome on the Move is the new PWSA (USA) national awareness initiative, targeted to take place annually beginning this May, during PWS awareness month."  In honor of this event and in effort to increase awareness about PWS, I will dedicate my study design assignment to PWS.

The Study will try to answer the following question: 

Will blogging about PWS, increase awareness about the signs and symptoms of patients with PWS?

4 comments:

  1. How will you know that the information posted on the blog worked? Will you survey the class again about their knowledge gained (level of exposure) or will it be discussed in class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great idea for a study!! I would have had to have surveyed them before I posted anything and then again after posting facts about PWS. Since I didn't do that, it will only be a simple cross-sectional study that will give us information about their level of exposure to the blog and level of knowledge about PWS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you have a member of your family with PWS, you and your family have a great felling of pain in many different felling that is to hard to explain but at the same tame the small advance in the child development make every one around him o her so happy, that make you think why we have not learn yet to appreciated what we have in our life and stop trying to look to find happiness, bocause you all ready have everyng to be happy, you have that power to control and know when you are full and you know and you can stop eating, tell me is not that enoug to be happy.
    I haave learn that just lisening a child to cry cam make you so happy,
    Don't waste your time looking for happiness when we have some many thins to fell happy. we just need to look around and find our happiness.
    Happiness does not depend on other around you, it just depend of you and just try to find what in your live make you happy, and be happy with thins that you all ready have in life en injoying it.
    remember Life is beatufull it jus depend how you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for commenting on the blog! You are right. Since Luis Emilio was born, I have seen my family celebrate each milestone Luis Emilio reaches with true happiness and pride. Milestones that many other parents take for granted.

    It's not about being the best in his swimming class, it's truly about seeing him participate. Just living!! I do have to brag though. I was told on my last trip to Nicaragua he won a couple metals in swimming class!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Is stealing always a crime?